Monday 29 January 2018

Hiring a New Villain

I was tired of all the thought battles, writing was never easy nor it is any better now - I am still struggling! My novel has given birth to many characters, and just like a conventional plot, my story too has a hero and a villain. The very word 'convention' restricts me, and I am unable to move any further. Heroes can be created easily, all that a mind would require is to attribute some virtuous qualities and make him the 'ideal' person, a demigod. But, arduous brain-labour is invested in creating the perfect villain!

Initially, my villain had all the qualities of a bad character, an antagonist who was ready to throw obstacles at the protagonist. He was a flawed character and suited perfect for the job of a villain. But, I couldn't relate to this villain, he seemed far too unreal for me, because most of the villains that I have encountered in real life come forth in disguises and do most of the damage through their malicious remarks. I tried mending the existing villain's attitude and thought processes, but it got me nowhere. There were a lot of creative differences and my villain had to quit. It was time for me to search for a new character, to hire a new villain.

One day, a character walked up to me seeking the position of a villain in my novel. He did have his good looks to attract my eyes, he also had his proper measure of egoistic attitude which surprisingly grabbed my complete attention. Here was a man who had flaws, regular flaws which I could relate to in reality. The flaw of arrogance, anger, over ambition and ghetto mentality. He was a little short than I imagined, but what he lacked in height he made it up in his good looks. His voice too had a strangely sweet melody which was unusual for a 'conventional villain' to have, but he was an exception. He was taking the complete floor, and this new villain was being constructed on a grand scale.

My new villain also came with a sarcastic tongue, witty dialogues and a pride of being a learned man. He wore sharp clothes and stood distinguished from other characters. The well-groomed look and clean and tidy stature coming forth not just in the introduction but also in the climax - all accompanied to praise this new character. Even though a villain, he was still admired. I fell in love with this new villain, and I also hope that the readers would like him as much as I did.

7 comments:

  1. Finding a way to comment many times about your work is difficult, for you write off-beat work that is so convincing. Yes villains no longer are the prototypes described in literature or movies, but still we come across them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts always amaze me for you write off-beat, try and see if I can comment dare not do it as they are so convincing. True villains no more stereotypes, need to have new narratives for these people you started one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arun - Thank you, Sir! It was just a tale, and I really wondered if creating a new villain was an easy task or not, and tried my hand at a creative piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tales at times come out of the surroundings, probably one has to have keen observation capabilities to notice. Surely you made an effort to notice such Story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arun - Had to assign a prompter for the 'creative writing' contest in college, so came up with this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really good, you get to read the creative world of students. All the best for that.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Do leave a comment!