Thursday 9 April 2020

What is my name, you ask?

I see the shadows of feet outside the locked door, there are some murmurs too. I hear two men speaking, more like haggling. One of the voices is familiar, it is Ramu-maama, but whose is the other voice? Must be a new customer! He sounds fierce in his tone and I hear Ramu-maama telling him how adjusting I am in bed, and that I can tolerate any sort of abuse.

He opens the latch and comes in. No, there is no smile, not even a sign of pleasant nodding - he is big, his eyes are red and seems to be fuming in anger.

Well, he is also a type!

If there is anything that I have learned in these many years living in shacks like these, then it is the fact that there are different types of customers, and each one comes with his own needs. Sometimes, there is a she coming in too! I am taught to serve the customers as per their needs. If I refuse, they beat me, drag me by my hair, and sometimes stick up a lean iron rod into my parts. I am not given many days for healing, the maximum of five to six days after all the excessive bleeding and then I have to go back to serving my customers.

Why am I here, you ask me? Was I trafficked?

Well, no!

I was born wrong! At least, that is what they said. They - my family.

Now, I am different. The man in front of me has paid for me because I am different. He locks the door and removes his belt. No, he is not undressing, instead he is rolling the end of that belt to his fist. I can sense his heavy breathing from a distance. And even before I can make sense of what is happening, he begins whipping me. I scream and groan in pain. The lashings do not stop for quite some time. Tired, he sits on the worn out cot while I sit in the corner sobbing and swallowing my pain. He now asks me to strip. I do as I am told, with shivering legs I stand and with trembling hands I undress myself. Maybe, he will now want to fuck me. But no, he flogs me more. My arms, legs, thighs, back, stomach and chest are swelling with pain. He doesn't seem to stop, and my shrieks get louder and louder.

I wake up in a different room. My body is still aching and I can't recall anything that happened after the lashings. I must have blacked out and turned conscious only now. I am not allowed to writhe in agony for long. If not serving the customers, then momentarily I have to attend to Ramu-maama.

Ramu-maama is not like other men, he is gentle, cunning but gentle. It was he who had helped me become different. He showed me the real world as opposed to the hypocritical world  into which I was born. I was made to wear clothes that my parents thought would best suit me, and in family get-togethers and sleepovers, I was asked to sleep with my cousins. If my cousins had gone to the late night shows, then I had to sleep with Ramesh-chitthappa.

Ramesh-chitthappa was that family member who was loved by everyone. He was a star with the kids for he made them laugh with his amusing antics, and for the adults, he was an example of success and happiness. A small provision store, a wife who brought dowry with her and a son to take his business forward - what more qualifications did Ramesh-chitthappa require, he had everything that the others would envied him for.

It was in one of those family sleepovers that I slept next to him. And suddenly in the middle of the night my sleep was disturbed. I felt a hand stroking me, and soon I was turned on my stomach and I felt something big penetrating into my butt hole. It was painful, my mouth was forcefully closed, and the penetration went deeper and deeper. After a while, I was released, and I silently teared up because of the extreme pain.

I was scared, and I was ashamed. It felt like I had done something terribly wrong, and this remained a secret with me.

Many times since then, Ramesh-chitthappa has forced himself on me and I have always remained quiet. In the beginning, it was painful, but then as days went by, I began to enjoy it. Perhaps, this sense of enjoyment itself became too much a burden and it had to continue being a secret.

Now when I think about it, I realise that I was ashamed to tell anybody about the wrong that was done to me simply because I found it pleasurable.

I spent my college years in a hostel, those years that showed me how different I was, and I realised what fascinated me the most. I liked boys. As much as I was leaning to liking this boy, Chandan, he began reciprocating my feelings. We realised that we were different and that we wanted to let this world know we were different. He would guard me from other bully boys and sit with me during lunch. They all made fun of us, all the other boys. But, somehow, we continued to sail together. We were real good friends and we were there for each other.

One day, I saw Chandan arguing with the hostel warden. The warden was pushing his body against Chandan, and Chandan was vehemently throwing him back. That night, Chandan wanted to be alone, and I complied. I did not realise until the next day that a sad Chandan's face was the last memory I would have of us together. The police was called, and charges were made against the deceased. They called him names and that he had committed suicide. The truth was never out, it was conveniently brushed under the carpet.

I was banished from my home when my folks learned that I was different. Without an aim, I walked. I spent many weeks without food and shelter until I walked passed this small office. It was called "Soul-to-Self", rather an unusual spin from the normative journey. I walked in and I was welcomed. Soon, I was taught the practices of their community, and I was given a choice to fully transform if I wanted to. I chose to be different and I persevered to attain that different identity in both mind and body.

I was now given a new name. But I was the same individual with the same talent of creative writing. I found no employment, because the world had a problem with me. My community could not sustain me for long, they had already helped me enough, it was about time that I began fending for myself.

Weeks of starvation and unjust arrests took me from place to place. Right now, I am at Ramu-maama's place. I am not sure how long I will have to serve here. Every place that I had been to gave me different names. I have learned to live a life under each name.

What is my name, you ask?

17 comments:

  1. Really a strong story in times of difficult times. Very very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arun - I am glad to receive positive comments. I was beginning to feel that I have lost my writing spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure you agree with me, certain skills remain with us and at times it takes time to make them see the light. You got skills with words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautifully written and I think you've lost your spirit because of the infrequency of posts that I've come to notice.
    But, my darling Madame we all fall back and get on our feet.
    Be proud that amidst this saddening hour you were still able to pull out a good piece.
    I'd be looking foward to fill my mind with the wonderful works of your spirit.
    Write more love!
    I think we all take it casually about having different names in society but I think we should talk about it and reflect on it more.

    Just like we constantly reflect on the idea of mulitiple homes we should do the same with the different names.

    This has definitely made me think.
    This could probably probe me to write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arun - Again, it wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for motivators like you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess - Thank you for those lovely words. I am glad you enjoyed reading this story. And, I insist that you begin writing. Quarantine time is the best time to start a blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im not motivated enough.. give me something to write about! I'll take it ad a challenge and probably write. Please write more. I love your poems.

      Delete
  7. First,I shall congratulate you to craft out a story, which voices the sexual abuse and atrocities a young child, especially a girl, faces all alone within the "secured sweet Home" and leaving her completely devastated. Another point, the story does shed light on sexual identity aspects too. The story does speak about homosexuality and/or identity dilemma, I could hear that voice too in the text, not sure if it speaks or highlights it! Good efforts...Keep writing and thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Manoj - Thank you for taking the trouble to read through my post. I was trying to capture the kind of complexities that go inside one's mind rather than to dwell too much on the physical aspects. I still need to work my way around characters and allowing them to respond to situations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jess - You know, if it helps, you could play a 'story-game' with your friends. You can start the story, write upto a point where you feel tired or not sure of how to take the narrative forward, and then invite your friend to continue the story. At one point, when he/she stops, you pick it up from there. It's actually an effective way to keep yourself on toes, where you don't know what turn the story might take. To begin with, why don't you write a small story about the romance between an old couple. There aren't many who write on this, why don't you give it a try. Maybe, that could be your first blogpost. Remember to send me the link!
    By the way, if you're interested to read some formal/theoretical readings, then you could take a look at my other blog - https://apetheatre.blogspot.com/. I haven't written much, but would love to hear from you in terms of discussions, if any.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow I shall definitely start working on it now.
    Thank you for taking your time and persuading me to write.
    Days like this I remember why I actually chose you as my mentor.
    I'll definitely look at it and tell you what my impression was.
    The friend thing,I rather not socialize.
    I'm happy being isolated with my two beautiful dogs.
    I'll definitely keep it for a another day.
    Thank you again for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There once was a young little panda.. sounds and verses and thoughts of morals she had for the mere mortals.. time flew past.. and grew she did, leaving behind all that need be shackles.. what remained was the truth and all its glory.. thank you for sharing panda..

    ReplyDelete
  12. That story game sounds interesting too!! You a star panda .. pulling life along as always.. take care

    ReplyDelete
  13. PPS— thank you for making me start scribbling 12 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jess - Thank you for those lovely words. I received your mails, too occupied with valuation work, and I don't want to reply in haste. Will respond to the emails at my leisure. About the story, please do begin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chandru - Who helped whom to scribble!? Wait, is that a question? Thank you for helping me write, and for the comments. We should write a story together, it's been a while, isn't it? Interested?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, just as Always I starte cursing you in my head for not replying.
    Hahaha.
    Please take your time.
    Yes,I shall start working on the story.
    I'm just really out of motivation.
    Why don't you write something nice when you're free and I shall be motivated to do so!
    take care!
    I hope you start writing more often.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Do leave a comment!