Saturday 29 October 2011

I cannot have a worse enemy than 'Myself'!

Man is by nature an egoist. It is quite natural for every normal person to think highly of himself whatever others think of him. It is seldom that one admits the wrongs one commits. On the other hand he may think that he is always right. Applying this to myself, I may say that if I adopt this attitude, this would be the most foolish thing. Enemies try to spoil others. But when I think I am always right, that I can never do any wrong and that I am superior to others, there need be no enemy for me. I become my own enemy, for this attitude is nothing but self-pride. And pride always goes before a fall. When I shut my eyes to my own faults, when I sometimes do not realize that my actions are not above board, or when I neglect to take care of my mental development I am a traitor to myself, I am an enemy to my own self. I cannot be my own enemy. Even allowing for the ego in everyone, including me, I do not think that I can be impervious to my own shortcomings. I may not like to exhibit my ignorance, or make myself the laughing stock of others, or show that I am inferior to some others. But to myself, I cannot be untruthful. When I stand before a mirror I am bound to see every part of myself. Any ugly mark in my appearance will be clearly manifest. Similarly, standing before the mirror of my conscience I cannot but be aware of my defects. Introspection will show where I err and where I am right. This being, so, I cannot be an enemy to myself. Only if I wish to be a hypocrite or become one, can I be an enemy to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Do leave a comment!