Wednesday 19 December 2012

Telling another tale...

It was just another day, not very different from the everyday routines for only the presence of an incident that changed the whole lot of the ‘past me’ to transform into a better ‘present me’.

The noon was about due and I had my concentration geared up to complete the last level of ‘Left 4 Dead’. Meanwhile mom her usual way of nagging me to show the same enthusiasm when it came to studies but the young adults would always want to have things done their way. I too was stubborn on getting things done at my own phase and as per my wish and will, didn’t like to take in any advice especially if it was given in comparison with other people of my age. Oh! Come on, it really pisses off anyone when you compare them with someone better than them. Well, you can guess who always wins the battle between studies and video games. Yes, the video games attract us more than the studies. But, with mom going on with nagging me finally made me shut down the computer and pick up my books.

As I was settling down with my books, to my luck (for disturbing) there comes a visitor to my house. Aunt Kelly had come home, mom’s friend; I had known her for the past a year and a half and only today she had brought her son along. A typical behavior of the modern family is that even if it is not for the sake of love and respect, we ought to welcome guests as a sign of basic manners. I welcomed Aunt Kelly in and her son, Ruben. Ruben was about fifteen years old and he seemed pretty excited just by looking at the things around him, this caught my complete attention. In the meantime, mom told that she would join us in few minutes as she was busy in the kitchen. Aunt Kelly and I had the usual conversation which involved my studies, future plans, work, higher studies and many more. She introduced me to Ruben and he gave a shy smile looking at me and nodding to convey his ‘Hello’ greetings.

Ruben seemed to be very uncomfortable but it was only in the next few minutes that I learned he was actually excited and amazed. Mommy, look… a mobile phone… he screamed in excitement to his mother and Aunt Kelly simply nodded with a gentle smile. Then the kid looked at the photographs that were hung onto the wall, most of it contained animals and flowers; he immediately sprung up by the looking at the pictures of the monkeys and told his mother, Maa… monkeys, look here… wow… I was baffled by his behavior and thought that there was some problem with the boy, perhaps some problem related with the development of his brain and learning ability. Without questioning I simply told Aunt Kelly that a friend of mine knows a very good psychologist who could actually help in bringing back Ruben to normalcy.

For a moment, Aunt Kelly was silent and then brought a gentle smile on her face and told, I went to the doctor before coming here because it was today that my son got his vision back… Tears filled my eyes, quickly apologized and left the living room. I thought of how judgmental I had become and this incident served as a good lesson to me to learn to become non-judgmental in life. The ‘present me’ is glued to the path of becoming tolerant and non-judgmental.

7 comments:

  1. I know you have good way of twisting the tale in the end, good one, have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sir! And a twist in the story is something which is always expected by the readers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I liked the story and you have narrated a simple incident is a very nice manner which can put us to thinking as how judgmental we have become in all these years. This story is more like a lesson to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful; those redded words in the last paragraph broke my heart!:)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Do leave a comment!