Wednesday 9 May 2018

Is Literature Becoming Obsolete?

I am a teacher by profession and passion, and I 'teach' English Literature for the undergraduates, a subject which is popularly called 'Optional English'. It appears quite ironic because the less learned never associate the term literature with what they study in this paper! My love for literature did not come that easily, thanks to my teachers for they played a major role in instilling in me the worth of literature. When I began my literature voyage, I found madness everywhere, but what kept me going was the fact that there was a method to this madness.

The long hours of reading Caedmon to Shakespeare to Wordsworth to Byron, took me on a vigorous ride. I bore the rood on my back as I compared my beloved to the summer's day and recollected my thoughts in tranquility only to realise that I loved not man less but nature more. Some other friends like Keats, Frost and Arnold amused me in a manner very different; they made the ordinary seem extraordinary. Just the sight of the beaded bubbles winking at the brim got me intoxicated, and I flung outward conquering every birch while still musing on the reality that there was before me a land of dreams, so various, so beautiful, so new.

While I was getting drunk in poetry, I accidentally bumped into the novels, and then I went on to take many a strolls with Austen, Bronte, Hardy and Lawrence. They took me to faraway places, to lands I had never been. They made me feel the wind that touched their noses, made me feel the chill of their winters while Bangalore was hitting a 30 degree Celsius in its summer days. I loved Darcy as much as Lizzy did; I mourned for Helen Burns while Jane Eyre wept; I smelled the mud of Egdon Heath along with Eustacia; and I saw the rainbow of hope holding hands with Urusula.

The Muses who blessed Homer and Milton have now become weak. I search for a voice, a philosophy that would say "of all creatures that breathe and move upon the earth, nothing is bred that is weaker than man". Or even a powerful tone which could utter that "the mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven", and put some sense into mankind. Yeats and Eliot saw the horrific future in things falling apart through a heap of broken images, but now they have become mere words in history that silently pass under our critical eyes of postmodernism and postcolonialism.

The multifarious schools of thoughts have taken over the field. Barthes' understanding of the world of words and meanings, through signifier, signified and sign, made me dissect literature. While I made my pen a surgical knife, I had a Derrida enter the room and say that I now enacted before an informed audience, and that I should have to deconstruct all that I have learned. Grappling with many ideologies and contradictions, my struggle of learning and unlearning was justified when Descartes shouldered me with his philosophy, "I think therefore I am."

Literature became laborious, but interestingly laborious. It tickled my mind. I saw literature now becoming cultural studies, but the writers of the past disengaged themselves with the new readers. Aesthetic reading was slowly being replaced by critical reading. The search for truth became rampant until another friend came along and enlightened me. This friend was know for his name which most found difficult to spell or even pronounce. The many dates I had with Nietzsche made me realise that there is no truth but there are only interpretations.

Let me now tell you a secret. Literature is not just aesthetic pleasure or understanding the world in its pixelated frames. It is beyond that, where amidst all the noble pursuits that exists, literature comes forth as the mother of all. She sustains life and gives it a meaning. She allows us to understand and express our emotions. She is the only reason why a part of the human race is still sane. How can literature ever become obsolete, for she is a daily prayer and the breath of all mankind!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! It has been 2 years since I touched/read anything remotely concerned with "academic" literature, but this beautifully constructed article walked me through the major chunks of my master's journey, filling me with nostalgia. Though a bit critical, it is poetic and projects the study of literature in a different light, which is beyond academic journey or pleasure reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to read. It's really long that I read something like this. It's really good to see someone so passionate about literature and academics. Ine has to see the changes that are taking place around including academics. To my knowledge passion though changing it's own weight when I say this passion with which literature was taught or learnt no longer valid apologies to those who are still passionate. To me fastfood culture easy ways and the attention span added to this. Changes in the funding group for the projects are changing that makes the gige difference. EveeythiEv to be taught easy way. I dont mean things need to be made difficult but no one want that anymore. So are the studies as the new things added more of social media that envolped our loved dictating everything around us including lingo and the language that we read and hear. Writing no longer remaining a pleasure activity. Reading for pleasure no longer remaining same two people sit together talking twi different people checking their social media updates in between. Right now how many got time to read things that makes us into nature or inti human heart or make us cry oe laugh or go through emotions that writer want us. I'm sure got kita to write may be later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikhilesh - Thank you for reading through my write-up, and for leaving such a nice comment.
    I could say only one thing, literature can never be forgotten, it simply resides in one's memories and waits patiently for those moments which will have the power to rekindle the fire of words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arun - Thank you, Sir, for reading through my write-up (again). I agree with you that today, academics is also nothing but business. Apart from money-making it has become more of a phoney platform. Many are getting sucked into the whirlpool of social media, easy methods, and short cuts. While the art of reading and writing have become activities of the past. I guess, this could be one of the main reasons for mental ill-health, for people simply bottle up their feelings and emotions, which later bursts out in the most unexpected and hideous ways. It is about time that we start realising what we are actually losing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Late as usual panda.. apologies.


    Story time... Sitting on a chair.. the creature looked on. Rain lashed all through the mountains.. the house was at the top of the hill.. and withsea formiles around��, the water went around the moats of the mountain..one day.. there was a cloud burst, such was the magnitude of the burst that the moat filled up faster and the water rose up to the porch of the house .. pond it is the creature thought.. while the mole made a mountain of it at the bottom of it..

    To each their own, words shared and interpretations had. One always learns.. directly or otherwise..

    Thank you for a new teaching you teacher panda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chandru - It's true, one always learns... directly or otherwise!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Do leave a comment!